velocipede

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I guess I'm a blogger now, sort of

Howdy. For those few who will ever see this or be interested, I doubt I'll ever have the time or desire to post much, considering that I'd rather email you, or even talk to you on the phone or visit you, and you know how often I do those things. Mainly you'll find pictures of our girls here (Lola and little sister Lula from Missoula), plus my random thoughts on things like those few movies I manage to see these days. Books, maybe someday, after the girls go away to college; these days I'm lucky if I manage to finish a three-day-old newspaper in the loo. There may also be the occasional existential scream when global warming, the war in Iraq, and the sale of our media and government to the highest bidders/greediest bastards get the better of me.

If you want to know where Mrs. Bissonette comes from, watch this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025318/. This is a seminal movie in my family. Along with Elizabeth Taylor's character in Father of the Bride, Amelia Bissonette is the character my father has always (and with extreme injustice) compared me to. In my father's eyes, the three of us share a certain imperiousness, a regal expectation that others can and must indulge our every whim, along with the crushing disappointment and frustration that they do not. Of course I don't see myself that way at all, probably more because I'm really not that way than because I lack self-awareness, but y'all can set me straight. In any case, Kathleen Howard as Mrs. Bissonette ("It's Bee-so-NAY") is one of the great overlooked comic performances, like a Margaret Dumont who's in on the joke. (And, for the record, it's BISS-o-net.)

So, welcome to my blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Roscoe said...

I've just added IT'S A GIFT to my Netflix queue. Is this the one with the horrifying blind man who demolishes Fields' store, while another customer keeps demanding "Kumquats!"?

10/11/2006 4:28 AM  
Blogger mrs. bissonette said...

Yes, Roscoe, that's the one. I happen to agree with you that Buster Keaton is the filet of screen comedians (to paraphrase Jeff Daniels in The Squid and the Whale, which we just watched, but It's a Gift has one great set piece after another, and is chock full of tasty quotes.

10/11/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Roscoe said...

I just watched IT'S A GIFT. Your dad's a boob to compare you to Mrs. Bissonette. I can't say I liked the movie very much, I just kept wondering why Bissonette didn't just go sleep in the living room instead of that rather improbably busy back porch, etc.

Still, there are glories in it. The thing that keeps coming back is Fields saying, "Of course I love him!" while barely restraining himself from striking the kid.

By the way, is Tom Bupp the same as Sonny Bupp, who played Kane Jr?

10/14/2006 5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home